Is it just us, or has stress been normalized in American culture? We're stressed because we didn't get to the bank in time; we're stressed because we hit every red-light; we're stressed because we lost our job during COVID, and we're stressed because we feel like lottery balls bouncing around a glass case of emotion.
While all these stressors may seem like independent areas of frustration, they can accumulate and cause chronic stress.
So, below you will find ten achievable, affordable ways to reduce stress in your life:
1. Buy a Plant - According to a study published in the Journal of Physiological Anthropology, indoor plants can reduce physiological and psychological stress. Buy one, name one, let us know how the friendship grows.
2. Eat a banana - Yes, you read that right. Some foods are natural stress-relievers, and bananas are one of them. The B-vitamins in bananas is key to the production of serotonin, which can help improve your mood and reduce anxiety.
3. Cease the negative self-talk: Negative self-talk can be habitual and, therefore, difficult to stop. Try small corrections, starting with awareness. Are you being kind to yourself? Are you limiting your ability to achieve something because of toxic internal chatter? Try“Changing the tape," with some positive affirmations.
5. Essential Oils: In some studies, aromatherapy has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Popular oils include rosemary, lavender, peppermint, frankincense, tea tree, ylang ylang, and more. You can learn a lot on how to use them, here.
7. Combine essential oils with a bath: Martha knows her stuff, which is why she combined essential oils AND hemp into Bath Bombs for the ultimate de-stressing, anti-inflaming experience.
8. Pet a dog: Quick, go pet that floof! Recent studies have shown what we have known all along: Dogs (and cats!) are good for our mind and body.
9. Unplug: Even if it’s 10-15 minutes per day—give yourself that space. When we turn off and tune out, we feel less pressure to respond immediately, thereby allowing us room to breathe.
10. Make out with someone: Smooch-a-roo's are good for you! Kissing releases oxytocin, so don't be afraid to get after it in the name of reducing stress. If things escalate quickly, grab our Vegan CBD Body Oil—it acts as a fantastic (natural!) lubricant.